Friday, January 31, 2014

Blog #3

I believe Peer Editing is one of the strongest feedback tools in school today. I say that because we have grown so accustomed to teachers giving us feedback that we eventually just stop listening to it as much. When a fellow classmate gives me feedback on things I have misspelled or just general tips to help me out with the assignment I really take notice of it and try to implement their feedback into my next assignments. Peer Editing is a very touchy approach just like the videos and slideshow said. I have had people edit my work and just blatantly tell me it is bad, needless to say I did not listen to that person anymore. Staying positive, giving suggestions, and correcting mistakes is truly the best way to help peer edit. Just make sure you follow the steps in order! People are more likely to adhere to your suggestions and corrections if you compliment them at the start of your editing. Even if it is a short and sweet compliment like "I like your topic", the peer is still more likely to listen to your advice.
The peer editing video with the children was very comical to me, I can think back to my English classes in high school and even in college where I have had at least one of those characters! The most common ones I have ran into in my days was a Speedy Sandy and Whatever William's. During my freshman year in college I was peer reviewing a Whatever William in my English Comp I class, and told him that his paper grade was a D at best. He just blew all of my comments and suggestions off and then ended up receiving a D on his paper. After class when we got our papers back he approached me and said he wished he listened to my review comments and from that moment on he began coming to me to review his work and listened to what I had to say and raised his grades up. Seeing his grades go up and him thanking me gave me that since of accomplishment and pride that any teachers get when they see an improvement in one of their students that it burned the fire inside me to teach even more. Students Editing each others work

2 comments:

  1. This was a great blog entry. I thought the children's video was a perfect description of the reality of peer editing. I can remember there were a few students in my class that I really trusted how they edited and I can recall several times me literally rushing to their desks first for them to edit my paper before the other students started asking! Don't forget to add pictures to EACH blog post and include the links to the videos/slideshows for each blog post because they need to be added too! Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I have had people edit my work and just blatantly tell me it is bad, needless to say I did not listen to that person anymore." what if you were on a sports team? Would you react the same way? Why or why not?

    So it works!

    Thoughtful. Interesting. Adding your personal experience was especially useful.

    Well done.

    ReplyDelete